applets descriptions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 4 17:04:44 CEST 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008, Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> Hi
>
> Il Wednesday 03 September 2008 17:53:03 Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> >> widget is becoming a common term for these little plugin type things; we
> >> use the term in plasma because we support so many different types of
> >> them that "applet", which is really technicaly jargon, doesn't apply.
> >
> > So we must kill in every user string "applet" word (mixing both applet
> > and widgetsisn't a good idea)...
> > oh, anyway, having on descriptions the word "widget" usually doesn't make
> > sense: the add window has got already the word widget on it, so they are
> > obviously widgets...
>
> I was also irritated by these words.
>
> I thought Plasma widgets are called "plasmoids".

they are.

> Ther term "Widget" is used by a lot of Qt stuff.

irrelevant to the user. remember to lobotomize your developer brain when
thinking about these things ;)

> Apple calls them Widgets.
> Google calls them Gadgets.
> Don't know how MS calls them.

Sidebar Gadgets

> At the end I don't care how we call it. But I agree we need one single
> name. Widget,Gadget: Have the advantage that they are already very common.
> Plasmoid: Has the advantage that it's clear that it is a Plasma gadget.

you're mixing levels of the taxonomy. all Plasmoids are Widgets, but not all
Widgets are Plasmoids. HTML/CSS can also be Widgets; Google Gadgets are
Widgets; MacOS X Dashboard Widgets are Widgets, too.

humru othro a kohnu se