taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 30 23:38:00 CET 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>  Nevertheless there are times when my
> taskbar becomes similar. But (probably because of my physicist nature that
> always keeps me aware of my background tasks) I want to have it that way. I

we make it configurable so we can cater to everyone, we pick defaults that
cater to the largest # of people possible. that means the defaults screw some
people over, but hopefully the smallest # of people possible (who can then
visit the configuration). your requests is to screw over a larger number of
people and that's obvious sub-optimal.

how do we know this? an impressive amount of prior research done outside of
kde as well as some done within it. =)

> Hence for now there is nothing I can do other than recommending a study on
> this. I think having a page in kde.org for such surveys will do a great job
> in helping with decisions for defaults.

a tiny % of our users, and only of a particular variety, visit those sites and
fills out those surveys.  that makes such results unhelpful in serving our full
userbase.

hopefully one day we'll have a significant portion of people across the user
base spectrum online and visiting such things providing feedback. until then

humru othro a kohnu se