taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Oct 30 22:13:56 CET 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008 16:19:32 Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Doing a quick google search: group tasks annoying
> brought me to a discussions page about Windows XP

Well, all your googling proves is that Microsoft along with Apple and KDE all
groups tasks by default, which is pretty much the opposite what you're arguing
for.
Fortunately for us we have usability experts and instead of complaining about
things you don't like you can go and ask them.
Celeste what's your opinion on task grouping?

> I admit that I didn't talked to sufficiently many people about this to
> achieve a reliable statistical data but I can say that every single person
> I asked disables this feature as soon as he installs his new DE.

This is how my panel looks without grouping:
http://ktown.kde.org/~zrusin/panel.png
and this is only showing tasks from the current desktop. I have to click on
each and every item in the taskbar to find anything. While I'm certainly a very
special kind of user, your argument for pointlessness of grouping tasks is
obviously bogus.