taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 21:19:32 CET 2008

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> From: Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm>
> Subject: Re: taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull
> To: orcanbahri at yahoo.com, plasma-devel at kde.org
> Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 3:46 PM
> Am 30.10.2008, 20:37 Uhr, schrieb Orcan Ogetbil
> <orcanbahri at yahoo.com>:
>

> > Not directly related to your question but...
> > As a user, the most annoying "feature" (to
> me) of any DE has been the
> > grouping of tasks in the taskbar. I consider it a
> "bug". It is even
> > worse than not having the "auto-hide panel".
>
> Lucky you. there is autohide panel by now.

Awesome, very many thanks to the author(s)!

> > Grouping makes tasks less accessible. I think that it
> is a way of
> > telling the user: "You are so dumb that you
> opened so many windows that
> > you forgot to keep track." Whenever I open a
> window I do want to keep
> > its relative location fixed in the taskbar and I want
> to be able to
> > reach it via single click.
>
> your lucky again. 3 clicks to turn it off.

You know, whenever a user installs KDE (or actually any DE) on a new computer he directly applies his own default list of customizations. Disabling the grouping was on the top of my list for KDE3. I was so happy to see that grouping didn't exist in KDE4. I thought it left my life for good.

Doing a quick google search: group tasks annoying
brought me to a discussions page about Windows XP where I found
...the directions:

1. Click Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu
2. UNcheck the "Group similar tasbar buttons" option if it's checked
3. Click the OK button
4. Enjoy feeling less retarded

> > Please don't make this "bug" the default
> behavior.
>
> we'll see....

I admit that I didn't talked to sufficiently many people about this to achieve a reliable statistical data but I can say that every single person I asked disables this feature as soon as he installs his new DE. I hope that there will be a thorough study to decide on the default behavior.

> Regards,
>
> Christian

Cheers,
Orcan