Status of multi-monitor support

Guillaume Pothier gpothier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:16:19 CEST 2008

2008/10/9 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> how much is the applet required to make kephal useful for plasma? can kephal
> be used as just a notifier of screen layouts, or does it also need to manage
> them? if it can be used as just a notifier (what we have now with
> QDesktopWidget, right?) then perhaps we can start there and add control to it
> later with a nice pretty widget.

If my understanding is correct, technically kephal can run
independantly of the applet and notify plasma about screen
configuration changes. However, it cannot guess the monitor layout,
ie. monitor 1 above, below, left or right of monitor 2, or if you want
to have an extended desktop or clone the desktop on the other monitor.
So the the applet seems quite indispensable to me.

Another topic: kephal remembers the configuration of each monitor, eg.
you plug your external monitor into your notebook and configure it to
be on the left of the internal monitor; later you plug in a projector
and configure it as clone of the internal monitor. Kephal remembers
all that so when you plug back your external monitor, kephal remembers
that this monitor was configured to be on the left (Aike, tell me if
I'm wrong). What happens with plasma in this regard? For instance, I
have one small external monitor at work, and a bigger one at home. I
like to have the plasmoids organized in some way on the big monitor,
and in another way on the small monitor. Would plasma remember the
plasmoid layout for each desktop size? If not, given that kephal
already manage per-monitor-setup configurations, could plasma (and
maybe other apps) store per-monitor-setup configuration data along
with kephal's?