Status of multi-monitor support

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 21:26:00 CEST 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> 2008/10/9 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> > how much is the applet required to make kephal useful for plasma? can
> > kephal be used as just a notifier of screen layouts, or does it also need
> > to manage them? if it can be used as just a notifier (what we have now
> > with QDesktopWidget, right?) then perhaps we can start there and add
> > control to it later with a nice pretty widget.
>
> If my understanding is correct, technically kephal can run
> independantly of the applet and notify plasma about screen
> configuration changes. However, it cannot guess the monitor layout,
> ie. monitor 1 above, below, left or right of monitor 2, or if you want
> to have an extended desktop or clone the desktop on the other monitor.
> So the the applet seems quite indispensable to me.

to _change_ the settings, sure. but we do have krandrtray still in the
meantime (though it sucks in its own unhappy ways :) ..

> Another topic: kephal remembers the configuration of each monitor, eg.
> you plug your external monitor into your notebook and configure it to
> be on the left of the internal monitor; later you plug in a projector
> and configure it as clone of the internal monitor. Kephal remembers
> all that so when you plug back your external monitor, kephal remembers
> that this monitor was configured to be on the left (Aike, tell me if
> I'm wrong). What happens with plasma in this regard? For instance, I
> have one small external monitor at work, and a bigger one at home. I
> like to have the plasmoids organized in some way on the big monitor,
> and in another way on the small monitor. Would plasma remember the
> plasmoid layout for each desktop size?

we store the arrangement of panels and resize the views, but we don't mess
with the layouts. that seems a bit overkill. if you want different layouts,
perhaps use different Activities.

> If not, given that kephal
> already manage per-monitor-setup configurations, could plasma (and
> maybe other apps) store per-monitor-setup configuration data along
> with kephal's?

what would be the benefit of putting all the configuration data together in this
case?

humru othro a kohnu se