more task-refactor issues

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at gmx.ch
Sun Oct 5 23:24:53 CEST 2008

> From: notmart at gmail.com
> To: plasma-devel at kde.org
> Subject: Re: more task-refactor issues
> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:58:02 +0200
>
> On Sunday 05 October 2008, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i've done some work on the tasks-refactor widget
> > and implemented multiple row support.
> >
> > To bring it to a usable state i would like to discuss some things again:
> >
> > Multiple Row Support
> >
> > The multipleRow support currently works like this that you can set a
> > maximum number of rows. A row is considere to be full on a ceratain number
> > of tasks (currently hardcoded 6). If a row is full a next row is added
> > until the maximum number of rows is exeeded. If both, rows and columns are
> > exeeded more collumns are added as needed.
> >
> > -Idea to calculate value on which row is full? (or also configurable?)
>
> when the width becomes less than a ratio (say 0.6 or something) of the
> preferred size?
> the maximum number of rows could be something like height of the
> taskbar/KiconLoadr::SizeSmall

Sounds reasonable

> > Only Group when full (library)
> >
> > -Should a taskbar be considered as full (for the group only when full
> > option) if the first row is full, or if both, rows and columns are full?
> hmm, not sure of that, maybe only whel all rows are full?

Yes you're right. Now that i think of it again, the user actually defined how many rows he want
so the taskbar is full when all rows are full

> > Group Popup Menu
> >
> > The popupMenu seems quite convenient to me. Unfortuantely i wasn't able to
> > implement a BasicMenu on rightclick on a popupmenu entry but this should be
> > ready with the "fancy way" as marco pointed out.
> >
> > Expanded Group
> >
> > Since the current behaviour isn't working anymore with more than 1 row
> > we have to change it (exept we want to have different behaviour if 1 rows
> > or more are chose..) Ideas:
> > -popup which overlays existing tasks

+not much movement in the taskbar when expanding/collapsing
-wasted space since the rest of the taskbar is unusable (only where the popup overlays tasks actually), but gets still displayed)

> > -"zooming in" -> replace the rootGroup layout by the group layout
+no wasted space
-taskbar changes completely on expand/collapse