KDE 4.2 Toolbars

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Nov 13 06:05:56 CET 2008

On Thursday 13 November 2008 00:26:18 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler schrieb:
> > In 4.0, we switched on text under icons, and were afraid first that not
> > too long labels might become a problem. At least for the English version,
> > that's not a problem (anymore). Most apps actually seem to have some
> > space left in the toolbars.
>
> I guess you have some space left, because you are running the apps in
> fullscreen as maybe most people do.

Actually I'm not.

> I think it is important that the toolbar is not much wider than the
> menu-bar. That way you can work very well with non-maximized windows, in
> fact if you only take this both bars into account.

I think that's an arbitrary limitation you're putting on the toolbar size. In
a KMail individual email window (I usually have them around ~80 chars wide),
the toolbar with text alongside is about as wide as the text, so the toolbar
fits nicely into a sensibly sized (wrt content) window. (The menu is much
shorter, there's empty space left).

> A bad example -- that has nothing to do with KDE! -- imo would be
> Thunderbird with a very wide toolbar. Maybe there are such examples,
> beside Akregator_de, in KDE. If there are we should find them.

Akregator needs to be fixed, I thought that one is pretty obvious.

> @Aaron your blog post on KMail made me try it again after a long break. :)

One example where a default setting of text alongside works very well
(especially, since with all the listview,
--
sebas