KDE 4.2 Toolbars

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 12 23:28:00 CET 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 18:31:51 Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> Well some time ago I sudgested to Celeste  that we should use in the
> thoolbars text along side icons instead of text under icons. Couse:
> 1 Looks Pretier.
> 2 Saves precious vertical space.
> 3 Remains a prety big hit area.
> 4 Its more readable (no need to read rows horozontaly) just one line
> 5 Its visualy more consitent with the text menu area.
>
> Well she agread that it might be a good a idea and tested it in the Kubuntu
> Intrepid Alpha 5 testing stage. (no major complaints so far)
> The main concernes were that we would be using more horizontal space and in
> small screns we would loose some actions... (we dont actualy lose all that
> space its mainly about 26 pixels x number of actions).
> Btw in small screens the best isdea IMO would be to push for difrent
> defoults as saving space is realy important there, and no text at all would
> probably be a good idea.
>
> The other problem aparently is that some apps dont folow defoults setings.

In 4.0, we switched on text under icons, and were afraid first that not too
long labels might become a problem. At least for the English version, that's
not a problem (anymore). Most apps actually seem to have some space left in
the toolbars.

I've been running text alongside icons in some apps for a couple of weeks (on
4:3, 1400x1050), and I have to say I personally really like it. It looks
consistent and often gives some space, basically for free (I often have empty
holes in the toolbars on the right).

It might cause problems in some translations, though.

> So im proposing a difrent defoult for kde 4.2 were its text along icons
> instead of text under icons...

+1
--
sebas