Extender api review, round 2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 29 18:38:55 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> I've had a lot of feedback on the extender api, and now I've incorporated a
> lot of the suggestions into a more up to date api. Again, I'm looking
> forward to getting feedback to fine tune this api all the way.

it's looking better and better! =)

in Extender i found myself thinking "maybe it would feel more natural if
instead of Extender::extenderItems it was just Extender::items..." and then i
got to the signals which are just itemAdded and itemRemoved =) so perhaps
change all the "extenderItem"s to "item"s in Extender's API.

ExtenderItem::setExpirationTimeWhenAttached could be
ExtenderItem::setAutoExpireDelay? setAutoExpireTime?

ExtenderItem::collapsed should be isCollapsed

i like how the impact on Applet is now so minimal, clean and obvious! =)

as for multiple extenders per-Applet, let's just stick with one for now i
think. we can learn how they get used and move on from there.

one final note, adding a new virtual to Applet makes libplasma BIC... hm.. i'll
start a new thread about that issue actually...

> Oh and another question, does anybody know if there's any way to determine
> if a top level QWidget is in front of another top level QWidget? Because to
> make drag & drop reliable, there really should be a way to determine which
> plasma view is on top at a specific location. And QApplication::topLevelAt
> won't do, since while dragging, there might be a graphicsView under the
> mouse cursor when dragging from view to view.

KWindowSystem::stackingOrder gives you the current window stacking order.

humru othro a kohnu se