Question about C++ vs. Python/Ruby/JS plasmoids

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 09:16:37 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Dienstag 26 August 2008 23:02:02 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > other than "because i prefer to write in python" i'm not overly sure what
> > real world compelling benefits there are to other languages. i think it's
> > great they are there, if only because people can and should work on
> > whatever they want to. but for our own "official" set, i think it makes
> > most sense to try and stay within the bounds of C++ and ECMA Script.
>
> I have one real-world benefit: Because I can (as of now) only write
> meaningful stuff in any workable time-frame using Python.

yes, that's the "because i prefer to write in python" reason. that's really
the primary use case that i foresee. for the core team and what we ship as our
official set, we should be a bit more diligent imho and try and keep things to
c++ and ecma script.

i do expect ruby/python/$whatever plasmoids to appear in kdeplasma-addons
though.

> Wasn't Kross intended to allow just that?
> Could it be used in Plasma to allow scripting Widgets?

that's actually not as meaningful question as it first seems. you can certainly
use Kross, but Plasma's ScriptEngine isn't about bridging to multiple
languages, it's about bridging to different APIs and providing consistent
management. that happens to enable bridging to multiple languages in the
process, and one can use Kross to make that part happen.

to get the reasons for this approach look around and see what other widget
canvases have been able to pick up third party sets like google gadgets or mac
os widgets, or have been able to offer multiple APIs depending on security and
portability needs.

humru othro a kohnu se