Question about C++ vs. Python/Ruby/JS plasmoids

Arne Babenhauserheide arne_bab at web.de
Wed Aug 27 08:07:50 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag 26 August 2008 23:02:02 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> other than "because i prefer to write in python" i'm not overly sure what
> real world compelling benefits there are to other languages. i think it's
> great they are there, if only because people can and should work on
> whatever they want to. but for our own "official" set, i think it makes
> most sense to try and stay within the bounds of C++ and ECMA Script.

I have one real-world benefit: Because I can (as of now) only write meaningful
stuff in any workable time-frame using Python.

Especially for Plasma widgets, I can see many users who are only experienced
in one scirpting language but want to contribute something - because you can
directly _see_ plasma widgets.

People who write Ruby web apps (like Ohloh) might want to write the Plasma
widget in Ruby, People who write a roleplaying and story scripting backend in
Python might want to write a lightwheight frontend widget to it in Python
(here I talk about myself :) ), and so on.

Wasn't Kross intended to allow just that?
Could it be used in Plasma to allow scripting Widgets?
(I don't know enough of the Kross and Plasma internals to be able to answer
that myself)

Best wishes,
Arne
--