plasma-mid (Mobile Internet Device)

Marijn Kruisselbrink m.kruisselbrink at student.tue.nl
Mon Aug 25 11:06:02 CEST 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008 08:33:31 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le Monday 25 August 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > * how to integrate with special buttons on these devices?
>
> FYI, I'm planning to channel this through libsolid. API wise we're close to
> have everything we need there, so it's really about upgrading the internal
> mechanics to make it work.
>
> Once that's done, I'm not exactly sure what would be the best way for
> plasma to be notified of the button events. For sharing sake a data engine
> looks like a good approach, except that this kind of events don't really
> have an interesting state.
>
> The alternative could be to provide an event-ish method in Plasma::Applet.
> Just like we have the shouldConserveResources() method in there.
>
> That's roughly my plan for the button handling on this kind of devices.
> Comments welcome.
Apart from the keyboard-open/-close events all the hardware buttons on the
N810 are not 'special' in any way, they just send 'normal' F1,F2,F3,... (not
sure about the exact numbers) and ESC events. So is something special really
needed for this? I guess there might indeed be to make the same code work
also on other devices where the hardware buttons are handled differently...

Marijn