plasma-mid (Mobile Internet Device)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 25 03:22:23 CEST 2008

hi all..

some of us huddled together at Akademy on the last day and discussed what we'd
like to do for things like the Nokia N Series and EEE PC computers, or as they
are more generally known "mobile internet devices" or MIDs.

in the meeting we came up with a few action items:

0. create a plasma shell for MIDs
1. create a specialized containment
2. create a full screen app launcher
3. create a control bar applet that could replace window title bars
4. create an expanding/collapsing area for notifications and tray icons, aka
"systray"
5. create artwork for all this specific to the devices
6. research!

here's some more detail on each:

Shell
===
you may have noticed that there is now a kdebase/workspace/plasma/shells
directory; in there we now have 4 directories containing 4 different kinds of
shells: desktop, screensaver, plasmoidviewer and mid.

plasma-mid is essentially a stripped down version of desktop: it only has one
view, the view (MidView) is very simple, the corona (MidCorona) has the start
of a custom loadCustomLayout with a single containment .. and that's about it.

it supports command line options for desktop, width and height which means you
can work on it initially without a scratchbox or other similar set up.

App Launcher
=========
the app launcher needs to be full screen (modulo the control bar). for a first
draft we're going to try a layout with a category listing down the left and
nice large fingerable buttons representing launchable actions on the right.
simple, effective, beautiful. that's the goal anyways =)

Control Bar
=======
this will contain a title for the current application and buttons for home,
put away and quit. it will also contain on the right hand side the MID system
tray, which actually won't really be a system tray as much as a place for
really small applets (battery, network status, etc).

Ivan has worked on a similar concept for a project he is working on; it is in
playground/plasma/applets/embedded-ivan/titlebar/ .. we should look into
Ivan's work here.

Systray
=====
we should be able to simply re-use the existing systray+notifier plasmoid for
this! it will need some additional work, such as implementing a new icon type
that is really just a wrapper for a plasmoid and implementing expand/collapse
to show/hide icons. this will have use on the desktop as well, so it's time
well spent

Artwork
=====
as this all comes together, we're going to want some new artwork. my thoughts
are that we should have artwork that:

* is pre-sized to the device screen (no scaling of the wallpaper should be
necessary for instance)
* harmonizes with the hardware itself, so it looks like it all belongs
together

obviously, this part is device specific. i'd like to start by targetting the
N810 so we have a first example of what can be done.

Research
======
some research topics will include:

* will a KPixmapCache for Plasma::Theme help start up times?
* how to integrate with special buttons on these devices?
* how to do configuration and applet addition?
* how to most effectively present a widget dashboard area?

thoughts, ideas, scary warnings, complaints, etc?

humru othro a kohnu se