proposal to port plasma to Qt

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Aug 23 00:15:07 CEST 2008

On Friday 22 August 2008, Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 18:36:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 August 2008, Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:
> > > I already talked to Aaron who supports the general idea of running
> > > plasma on embedded devices, and Riccardo who brought up the idea, that
> > > it might be possible to have a drop in replacement for kde
> > > dependencies.
> >
> > as i noted on irc, i think it's probably a lot easier to just get kdelibs
> > working in the environments you are interested in, otherwise you will end
> > up reimplementing a lot of that functionality all over again.
>
> I disagree. Adding another platform  to kdelibs requires an imense amount
> of organisation work.

except that we're talking about QWS here, right? that and kdelibs already
works on platforms as rediculously diverse as windows, mac, solaris, *bsd and
linux. so the libs have all the right "hinges" in them already, and QWS is
hardly a foreign platform.

as i pointed out to you on irc, there was already a build of kde4 on qws over
6 months ago; you can find screencasts via google showing it even.

> Somone would have to review every single commit to
> not break support for this platform.

we don't do this for any other platform, so i don't see why we'd need to do it
for QWS.

> If you find somone to a) get my fixes in

that would be you. we can hook you up with an svn account quite easily.

> b) fix all the other stuff

not sure what the "other stuff" would be

> c) maintain platform support

this is a non-issue as long as the platform has users, since as they (or you)
run into issues that group of people can issue patches.

> > hopefully you will succeed here =) as you come up with actual code or
> > questions, feel free to ask them here.
>
> I don't think i will. support from kde is minimal, as expected.

*raises an eyebrow*

if you were expecting someone to do all the work for you, then you
misunderstand the open source developent model. the fact that i am completely
open to the concept, encouraging it and willing to answer questions and what
not as issues arise is, to me at least, more than "miminal"

> So far i
> have dropped my porting work and moved to reimpliment plasma from scratch.

your time is your own, of course, but i'd suggest looking at what would
actually be involved in getting kdelibs on QWS working versus rewriting
plasma.

> >From your POV this sounds like a lot of work, but you always ignore the
> > social
>
> work that has to be done to convince kde people to support a platform kde
> was never built for. I've experienced alot of flaming from kde when i
> started  with cross platform and cross business Qt work. Same for most of
> the other people from that scene.

you are, of course, free to be upset about whatever it was that you ran into
in the past. that includes throwing away your time and the opportunity to work
with others today and in the future if you wish.

that said, i've never flamed you and afaik you've never been treated anything
but kindly by the plasma team. if that isn't the case, i'd like to know so we
can improve our community around plasma.

humru othro a kohnu se