proposal to port plasma to Qt

Arvid Ephraim Picciani aep at ibcsolutions.de
Fri Aug 22 12:43:39 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 18:36:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 17 August 2008, Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:
> > I already talked to Aaron who supports the general idea of running plasma
> > on embedded devices, and Riccardo who brought up the idea, that it might
> > be possible to have a drop in replacement for kde dependencies.
>
> as i noted on irc, i think it's probably a lot easier to just get kdelibs
> working in the environments you are interested in, otherwise you will end
> up reimplementing a lot of that functionality all over again.

I disagree. Adding another platform  to kdelibs requires an imense amount of
organisation work. Somone would have to review every single commit to not
break support for this platform. If you find somone to a) get my fixes in b) fix
all the other stuff c) maintain platform support,  all for free, i owe you
something.

> hopefully you will succeed here =) as you come up with actual code or
> questions, feel free to ask them here.

I don't think i will. support from kde is minimal, as expected. So far i have
dropped my porting work and moved to reimpliment plasma from scratch. I'm
still tinkering on a solution to get plasmoids compatibile.

From your POV this sounds like a lot of work, but you always ignore the social
work that has to be done to convince kde people to support a platform kde was
never built for. I've experienced alot of flaming from kde when i started  with
cross platform and cross business Qt work. Same for most of the other people
from that scene.

--
best regards
Arvid Ephraim Picciani