System-wide Activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 19:46:00 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008, Hari krishna Anandhan wrote:
> > Aaron J. Seigo
> > you probably want to look at Plasma::Context in
> > kdebase/workspace/libs/plasms/context.h as it already does this (though
> > right now most of the methods are just stubs); i'll be working on this
> > (and the n810 shell) for the rest of this week.
>
> Cool... Had a look at it just now...
> Looks like a great start. *rubs hands and sits straight*
> Btw, I just read your blog entry
> (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/08/sitting-in-lhr.html) where you
> also talk about contexts, but more limited to widgets and just "plasma
> activity"..

no, it's desktop wide. that's the entire point, really =)

> So, to be on the same side, I would like to clarify a few points...
> 1. Are we looking to create contexts that are shared between kde apps
> and plasma (via DBus)? Something like Global activities ( can we use
> the term "activities" for this or a different term ?)

yes, the idea is to be able to sync this across the desktop. which is why i'm
using nepomuk here. the term being used in the code is "Context". this came as
a result of conversation with the Nepomuk team to suggested this term instead.

> 2. Shouldn't context be more granular? like activities, location, user
> modes, etc. Different widgets and apps might be interested in
> different things.

i don't really get what you mean by "user modes" (that's what
activities/contexts are, afaiu), though location should certainly be added to
it.

> We need to nail down the difference between project, activity and
> context, please...for a more clear understanding....

they are all the same things. we are currently using Activity in the UI for
clarity to the user, and Context in the code for clarity in the code.

> > i don't have plans to add support for geographical awareness (e.g.
> > geoclue) to Context yet, but that's where it does belong. perhaps you'd
> > be interested in working on that bit?
>
> Sure! Once I get a better idea of what is needed, I would jump in !
>
> If you would like to discuss this more on IRC, please let me know.
> FYI, I live in India (so, my timezone is GMT + 5:30 hrs). But, let me
> know your convenient time, i will try to make it !

you can always just pop into #plasma on irc.freenode.net and see who is there
when it works for you.

humru othro a kohnu se