System-wide Activities

Hari krishna Anandhan harikrishna.anandhan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:15:31 CEST 2008

> Aaron J. Seigo
> you probably want to look at Plasma::Context in
> kdebase/workspace/libs/plasms/context.h as it already does this (though right
> now most of the methods are just stubs); i'll be working on this (and the n810
> shell) for the rest of this week.
Cool... Had a look at it just now...
Looks like a great start. *rubs hands and sits straight*
Btw, I just read your blog entry
(http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/08/sitting-in-lhr.html) where you
also talk about contexts, but more limited to widgets and just "plasma
activity"..

So, to be on the same side, I would like to clarify a few points...
1. Are we looking to create contexts that are shared between kde apps
and plasma (via DBus)? Something like Global activities ( can we use
the term "activities" for this or a different term ?)
2. Shouldn't context be more granular? like activities, location, user
modes, etc. Different widgets and apps might be interested in
different things.

We need to nail down the difference between project, activity and
context, please...for a more clear understanding....

> i don't have plans to add support for geographical awareness (e.g. geoclue) to
> Context yet, but that's where it does belong. perhaps you'd be interested in
> working on that bit?

Sure! Once I get a better idea of what is needed, I would jump in !

If you would like to discuss this more on IRC, please let me know.
FYI, I live in India (so, my timezone is GMT + 5:30 hrs). But, let me
know your convenient time, i will try to make it !