System tray rewrite ready for review + portability?

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 14:54:43 CEST 2008

Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> independent from your changes I see a problem with the X11 includes.
> KDE4 should run on any OS including Windows and this includes break
> portability.
>
> While there is no problem of making OS dependent plasmoids in general
> I think a basic one like the systray should run everywhere.
>
> Are there any rules in plasma what should be portable and what not?

Regardless of rules, I believe that things should be portable whenever
possible. With the rewrite, the only X11 specific code is that which
implements the FDO system tray spec[1] and is contained wholly within
core/fdo. It's actually a step forward with regard to portability when
compared to the current system tray. :)

If somebody wants to add a new protocol implementation that implements
the (undocumented!) windows spec, the rest of the applet will work just
fine.

[1]
http://standards.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-latest.html

--