[GSoC] Capture API Project

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Tue May 18 13:38:22 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 18. May 2010 13.21.01 Casian Andrei wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am Casian Andrei from Bucharest Polytechnic University and I'm a SoC
> student working on the project "High-level Capture API for Phonon", from
> VLC.

Welcome aboard!

> The goal of this project is to enable Phonon applications to access and
> display input devices, like webcams. The Phonon code-base is well designed
> and flexible, and apparently no major modifications are needed to the
> current API. The ease of use for the Phonon application developer is a
> priority. Features implemented in Phonon will be implemented in the
> Phonon-VLC back-end in parallel. Various device classes should be
> supported.

Sounds great! :-D

Do you have a blog? I know there's a lot of people who have been waiting for
proper webcam support in Phonon for some time, and blogging about it might
help raise awareness. You should probably also contact the (off the top of my
head) Kamoso, KMess and Kopete developers some time (if nothing else just ping
them on IRC).

Also don't worry about reduced capacity during exams, I'm sure you'll be fine
(most students have exams they need to read for that overlap with the GSoC
time...).

--
Martin T. Sandsmark