Fwd: [GSoC] Capture API Project

Casian Andrei skeletk13 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:50:38 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Casian Andrei <skeletk13 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Capture API Project
To: Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no>

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no>wrote:

> On Tuesday 18. May 2010 13.21.01 Casian Andrei wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > I am Casian Andrei from Bucharest Polytechnic University and I'm a SoC
> > student working on the project "High-level Capture API for Phonon", from
> > VLC.
>
> Welcome aboard!

Thank you :D

> > The goal of this project is to enable Phonon applications to access and
> > display input devices, like webcams. The Phonon code-base is well
> designed
> > and flexible, and apparently no major modifications are needed to the
> > current API. The ease of use for the Phonon application developer is a
> > priority. Features implemented in Phonon will be implemented in the
> > Phonon-VLC back-end in parallel. Various device classes should be
> > supported.
>
> Sounds great! :-D
>
> Do you have a blog? I know there's a lot of people who have been waiting
> for
> proper webcam support in Phonon for some time, and blogging about it might
> help raise awareness. You should probably also contact the (off the top of
> my
> head) Kamoso, KMess and Kopete developers some time (if nothing else just
> ping
> them on IRC).

I don't have a blog unfortunately. I'm feeling lazy when it comes to writing
about what I have done. But this summer I plan to create a blog-like
personal website.

You are right about raising awareness, I haven't thought of that. But I
believe that first I should have something to show before contacting the
mentioned developers. Anyway, I hope that everything goes smooth and there
will be no grave unforeseen complications :P

Oh, forgot to mention my irc nick is "skelet". See ya on irc too :)