[Parley-devel] problems with copy and paste collections together

Sabine Emmy Eller s.eller at voxhumanitatis.org
Mon Apr 19 15:02:53 CEST 2010

Two thoughts on this:

Maintaining data in Parley makes it "closed" to Parley only  - this is one
of the main problems IMHO, because the data we and others create can and
shall be used in many applications.

Therefore by now all the data we maintain is in very simple tables ...
actually I am right now going from Google spreadsheets to OOo base, since it
offers me more possibilities when having to edit data.

As to Jürgen's question on how to merge data: As long as you have only
English-Spanish and Spanish-English data without all grammatical pointers:
that is just

source term / target term / lesson

I would maintain the data in .csv format. If you are able to execute a
python script, I can give you the source file that helps you to convert the
data. Otherwise, when you have your merged data ready, write me and I'll
convert it for you and give you the .kvtml back (this could also help to
extend our collection of dictionary data - I really would like to receive
your collection and add it to what we have, of course giving proper
attribution - cc-by-sa would be preferred, but if not: any license is fine).

Right now I am working with one huge table for around 100 languages (should
be some more now). Many of these don't have enough entries by now to get
published, but as you can see: working with tables can help.

For Frederik and Daniel: When we are going to meet in Randa hopefully we
will have something to show you - this could be the basis for language data
maintenace for Parley and many other educational applications. Eventually
this can help to solve the "data maintenace part". Well Bèrto has the last
word on saying if it is possible and under which conditions, but as much as
I can see, I'd say yes.

Jürgen: please let me know if you go the .csv way.

Sabine