Creative direction of plasma

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:52:52 CEST 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2008, pinheiro wrote:
> > http://nuno-icons.com//images/estilo/imagefolders2.png
>
> interesting stuff =)
>
> without getting into fidly implementation details (e.g. the 'x' close
> button at the bottom i assume is the collapse button? if so, it should
> probably not be an 'x'...), there's some interesting stuff to discuss here:
>
> * the top panel area with the control icons
>
> i've often considered how to let applets show little "toolbars" like this
> in a standard way. perhaps we could extend the window decorations (once
> they are in svn) to allow applets to register actions that show up in a
> specific area (such as in the mockup)
atm implementing something that looks like that is possible but it would
require a ton of custom code.
that would be neat to have a standard way and now that i think about it would
really make sense to have them in the window decoration stuff (maybe
appearing on mouse over?)

> * the tools provided
>
> in this case, less is more; do we need the magnifier? are two buttons for
> listing modes needed or wanted? i wonder if one toggling icon (betwee list
> and icons) would be Good Enough(tm)
just to throw some opinions, things that i think are needed are the folder
name, and the filter text fileld think would also be neat.
maybe the swithch from icon to list is used rarely enough to be put in the
config dialog?

oh, speaking of the folderview thing, can you take a look at
http://reviewboard.vidsolbach.de/r/21/ when you get some secs?
it's creating folderviews by dropping folders on the desktop
it's a thing that has so little code and is so convenient that i really hope
can still be added...

> * modes
>
> the image mode really strikes me as what the image frame applet should do?
>
> * folder name: we really ought to have the name of the folder somewhere for
> the user to be able to see where it is they looking at?
>

> p.s. thanks for including windows, panel and other applet in your mockup.
> that kind of visual overview is sooo important.
the theme (that i sent you in a private mail) looks almost the same now, apart
for the panel shadow that is still not possible and the pager that
unfortunately must remain in two lines by default for an ugly kwin bug (yeah,
probably needed better communication also in this way :)).

cheers,
Marco Martin