Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sat May 17 17:47:35 CEST 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 14:32:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Now, when I see that we will have 81 different groups only for the
> > panel's background, I have to ask whether we can do this in a more
> > elegant way.
>
> suggestions?
>
> i'm completely against going for anything that requires writing code
> because that locks out virtually all designers.

Uhm, not really. I guess it all depends on the complexity of the code we're
going to need to have written. =)

A good 90% of the artists know CSS or HTML, with some bits of
javascript too (not
anything too complex, but they can know how to customize a piece of code they
find online, or write some simple effects) absolutely painlessly.

Flash users, too are also used to work with a language pretty close to
Javascript, and they usually don't have
too many problems in understading it.

And what I'm thinking of is *way* simpler than a piece of CSS or ActionScript.

> if we're edging towards
> ever greater complexity so that we will find ourselves in a very awkward
> situation down the line, then the artists need to stop themselves, sit down
> and FORCE themselves to answer hard questions with good answers.
>
> i do see a tendency amongst the artists to just come up with answers to the
> obvious question without actually stepping back, looking for the root
> question and then coming up with the hard answers. perhaps it's a
> discipline not common among them as the whole "making efficient art for
> runtime systems" is pretty niche.

Uhm... the idea was to have that system just for those who care, I
wouldn't see how that would result in being so much extremely complex.
Look, what I'm thinking of can simply consist in sth like:

svgToLoad = clock.svg
if (size < 100x100) {
    svgToLoad = clock-small.svg
}

or sth like that. not very complex, yet very useful. =)
and completely optional. =)

Bye,
-Riccardo
--