Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 17 19:14:49 CEST 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> And what I'm thinking of is *way* simpler than a piece of CSS or
> ActionScript.

the point is that it is in the *wrong place*. we keep talking about how good
scripting is. that's not really being debated. the question is whether it
belongs in the themes. the answer is, "no".

> > i do see a tendency amongst the artists to just come up with answers to
> > the obvious question without actually stepping back, looking for the root
> > question and then coming up with the hard answers. perhaps it's a
> > discipline not common among them as the whole "making efficient art for
> > runtime systems" is pretty niche.
>
> Uhm... the idea was to have that system just for those who care, I

because then people will write applets that rely on such themes and then they
won't work with themes that don't have such fancyness and then .. boom.

either every theme will, in practice, need to support these things or else it
needs to be done on the applet side.

> wouldn't see how that would result in being so much extremely complex.
> Look, what I'm thinking of can simply consist in sth like:
>
> svgToLoad = clock.svg
> if (size < 100x100) {
>     svgToLoad = clock-small.svg
> }

this can be done without code in the svg, and it also assumes the svg knows
what matters here.