ruler for panel resizing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 6 19:14:25 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> that would make this guy have a point else: ;-)
> http://blog.cocoia.com/2007/06/18/when-everyone-starts-designing-interfaces
>/

slightly OT, but that blog really annoyed me.

people who have no idea what they are talking about should be put on public
display with a big sign above them defining just what an idiot they are. yes,
you heard that right: i'm all for public stockades. it's the one part of
medievel society that i think shouldn't have gone away. maybe a bit more due
process would've been good, but the essential idea is terrific.

we wouldn't have half the stupidity on display that we contend with on a daily
basis if people were actually publicly accountable for their inability to
think straight before spewing their tepid "genius".

> still, I'm unsure on how to display this. maybe ala youtube? (those
> fullscreen/resize buttons?)

back on topic: if the arrows were made directonal so they "said"
visually "this is the left edge", "this is the right edge" (top/bottom for
vert) that would probably help somewhat.

don't be afraid to use text in places either.

perhaps even drawing connecters between the items? (warning: bad ascii art
ensues)

v                                   ||                                v

the ^s would be maximums, v's minimums, || controls the anchor point
justification. some mouse over tooltips would also work wonders?