Plasma + ZUI + virtual desktops

Matija Šuklje matija.suklje at rutka.net
Mon Jun 9 00:01:37 CEST 2008

Dne nedelja 8. junija 2008 je Aaron J. Seigo napisal(a):
> On Sunday 08 June 2008, Matija Šuklje wrote:
> > I heavily make use of virtual desktops and order them by tasks (and I'm
> > pretty sure I'm not the only one).
>
> no, you're not. but there are people who work differently than that as
> well: they use the desktops to scatter windows associated with a specific
> task.

That's what I have 4 and 5 for. The rest is associated with daily tasks.
But anyway... de gustibus ;)

> this essentially works in 4.1...

Yes, but the ZUI is still a bit quirky in 4.1, isn't it? Anyway, from what I'm
reading Chani seems to do a lot of work on making it even cooler for 4.2! :]

> in 4.2 we'll be allowing you to associate an activity (aka "group of
> plasmoids") with a given virtual desktop, however.

This would be perfect!

> note that this will mean greater memory consumption (for obvious reasons)
> but hopefully not that much more.

Which logical ...[off topic] but in any case my main concern with KDE4 and my
laptop is how my ATi X600 will cope with the composite awesomeness of KWin
and Plasma. :/

> right, so you'd assign different activities to each desktop in your case

Exactly!

> (well, except for 4 and 5 which might share one?)

I see that as an option, yes. And of course, standard Plasmoids like the clock
and such could be "sticky" on all desktops.

Oh, BTW, I remember reading once (on KDE Planet?) that it will be possible in
4.2 to have the panel show on some of the desktops (or groups) and not on
others. Is that true?

> yep. that's on the plate for 4.2. this also helps us solve a really
> difficult problem with compositing window managers that show multiple
> desktops at once (desktop grid, desktop cube) that currently no other
> desktop shell handles properly.

Sweet :]

I can barely wait for KDE 4.2 ...and keep my fingers crossed that my laptop
will be able to cope with its awesomeness :]

> no. but if you feel guilty anyways, you can always make up for it with a
> patch ;-P

With my coding skills pretty close to zero, I'd rather stick to
translating/localising, reporting bugs and ideas. ;)

Cheers,
Matija
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552