Plasma + ZUI + virtual desktops

Matija Šuklje matija.suklje at rutka.net
Sun Jun 8 22:59:41 CEST 2008

Dne nedelja 8. junija 2008 je Michael Rudolph napisal(a):

> you could get an answer by looking at the related techbase article:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/ZUI

I am already aware of that page.

> I'm not sure I understand your concern, though, because you seem to
> answer it yourself already. What else could grouping of plasmoids mean,
> than that the plasmoids of a group are specific to an activity (or
> virtual desktop or ZUI, whatever your terminology is)?

I think that either I wasn't specific enough or that I misunderstood what ZUI
is about (currently).

What I understand:
* windows are organised by KWin into virtual desktops
* plasmoids are organised by ZUI into groups
* plasmoids reside on a different layer then windows
* plasmoid groups are sticky (= apply to all virtual desktops at the same
time, not just one)

What I would like is that I could have one plasmoid group (e.g. "admin")
always present on a certain desktop (e.g. "desktop 1"), while on a different
desktop (e.g. "desktop 4") have the freedom to switch between plasmoid groups
(e.g. "translation", "graphics", "fun", ...) freely without changing the
plasmoid group "admin" that is on "desktop 1". And also at the same time have
plasmoids that are sticky — present on all desktops (e.g. clock).

I don't know if this is already possible or planned, but hope it will be.

Cheers,
Matija

--
gsm: +386 41 849 552