Folderview mimetype support (revisited)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 21 20:21:24 CEST 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Attached is the patch if there are some comments. As I say, I still have to
> polish some things.

my biggest concern is that the UI is really complex and too large. it's pretty
much the opposite of the elegance plasma strives for, in fact; now, it's a
complex and powerful feature, so that's to be expected.

however, before this goes into svn (and frederikh would have final say on that,
really) it needs some work =)

some UI suggestions:

don't use a group box like you have there, or at least don't use a visible
one. it breaks with the flow of the dialog.

(the dialog itself does not follow the HIG at all and really needs an update
in general =)

i don't think we nee a "No filter" option, since a filter of "*" == All. it
might even make sense to allow the special value of "All files" (when * is
entered?)

instead of "filter by mime type" try "filter by file type" (less tech jargon).

and why are the two mutually exclusive? why can't i have a mimetype and a
pattern?

that would get right of all of the radio buttons, in fact! finally, we'll want
to do something about that mimetype list, but this is at least a start.

as an innocent user i'd have no idea what "exclude filter" means and instead
wonder 'does that mean "filter *out* the matches instead"?' we need some better
words here, i think.

*thinks*

perhaps we could have a combo box containing:

Show all files
Only show files matching:
Only show files not matching:

and when the latter two are selected, then show the pattern and mimetype filter
definition widgets below?

that would mean 3 less widget lines (3 radios and one checkbox exchanged for
one combobox), one less divider line a one less group box. in the default
configuration, the dialog would only have 4 lines (show desktop folder, show
custom folder, custom folder selector, the combobox)

i'd like to see us do something about the first two settings radio buttons as
well (show desktop vs custom folder)