[4.2 Talk] Grids in panel

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jul 15 20:25:53 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 15:23:20 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Loïc Marteau wrote:
> > I was thiking about what we have for the lock/logout plasmoid.
> > We have already started to talk about what we want to have for 4.2 :
> > let the user the possibility to configure it, choose the icons, the
> > direction he want etc...
> >
> > In fact i asked me if it is not more relevant to just provide the user
> > the possibility to do exactly what he want by using grids.
> > So we have just to provide (correct :p) .desktop files for all the
> > leaves action. However perhaps we can have a workflow problem with it
> > (not sure from where the user can drag the .desktop file easily,
> > perhaps by creating a dedicated "grid leave" plasmoid with a menu that
> > let the user to select which leave icon he wants to add ?!)
> >
> > I know Sebas has started something in playground aboutgrids.
>
> yeah, this belongs to an applet like that
> maybe add the facility to select multiple applets and collapse them in a
> grid. this would leave the problem that one an applet is in a grid how to
> get out of it?
> wonder how woul be difficult to implement dragging of existing applets in
> the grid and out of it...

Dragging applets into (existing cells of) the applet does work already.
Dragging them inside the applet to re-arrange them is probably a matter of
copying some code over from Panel (or better yet, share it).

> > So the topic is not just about the lock/logout plasmoid : what can we
> > do for grids in panel (and in desktop) for 4.2 ?
> > Here is just a proposal...
> > - Let the user the possibility to put lines grids in horizontal
> > panels, convert it in column grids in vertical ones
> > - UI to select the number of lines he want, and the height of a line.
> > - Something in the panel controller to draw the grids on the panel and
> > make it reachable so the user can configure it. Draw the grid when a
> > drag/ drop from another containment is comming.
>
> i would like the decision on how many rows/columns as automatic as
> possible, i know many wouldn't like it, but...

Sure, good defaults do wonders :>

In most cases I can think of, this does matter however. Default currently is 2
rows / columns (depending on the orientation). For planar / desktop use, one
could also implement the golden ration, of course.
--
sebas