[4.2 Talk] Grids in panel

Loïc Marteau loic.marteau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:05:26 CEST 2008

2008/7/15 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>:

>> So the topic is not just about the lock/logout plasmoid : what can we
>> do for grids in panel (and in desktop) for 4.2 ?
>> Here is just a proposal...
>> - Let the user the possibility to put lines grids in horizontal
>> panels, convert it in column grids in vertical ones
>
> Done differently in grid atm. The user sets a number of rows and columns. In
> horizontal panels, the number of rows is always respected, so if you add
> applets, the grid gets expanded horizontally, i.e. you add a columns. Likewise
> for vertical panels, where the number of columns has precedence over the
> number of rows, making it grow vertically.

great !

>> - UI to select the number of lines he want, and the height of a line.
>
> Why the height? It's contentsRect().height() / no_of_rows, no?

because perhaps it would be great to be able to do things like this
http://nuno-icons.com/images/estilo/image590.png

So the icons can be smaller than the K Button and take less width place too.

Not sure if it is really possible but in panel i feel than the space
between each icon is a little to big.
Perhaps it can be great to be able to specify the margin between each
applet in the grid.

but we have to think carefully about what the user really need and how
we can do it so the user found it usable

>> - Something in the panel controller to draw the grids on the panel and
>> make it reachable so the user can configure it. Draw the grid when a
>> drag/ drop from another containment is comming.
>
> We can just draw the lines around the cells when the desktop is unlocked, or
> highlight the cell you're dropping into. Dropping applets into the grid works
> already, as does moving (D+D) the grid from desktop to panel.

Thanks !

Lo