[4.2 Talk] Grids in panel

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jul 15 14:40:31 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 13:50:08 Loïc Marteau wrote:
> I was thiking about what we have for the lock/logout plasmoid.
> We have already started to talk about what we want to have for 4.2 :
> let the user the possibility to configure it, choose the icons, the
> direction he want etc...
>
> In fact i asked me if it is not more relevant to just provide the user
> the possibility to do exactly what he want by using grids.
> So we have just to provide (correct :p) .desktop files for all the
> leaves action. However perhaps we can have a workflow problem with it
> (not sure from where the user can drag the .desktop file easily,
> perhaps by creating a dedicated "grid leave" plasmoid with a menu that
> let the user to select which leave icon he wants to add ?!)
>
> I know Sebas has started something in playground aboutgrids.

Indeed, there's a grid plasmoid in playground. You can drop applets into the
grid's cells. Some applets even show up there (not sure why others don't. The
analogue clock works, for example, the battery one doesn't (it seems to be
loaded, but it's not displayed, if anyone know why, please enlighten me ...)

> So the topic is not just about the lock/logout plasmoid : what can we
> do for grids in panel (and in desktop) for 4.2 ?
> Here is just a proposal...
> - Let the user the possibility to put lines grids in horizontal
> panels, convert it in column grids in vertical ones

Done differently in grid atm. The user sets a number of rows and columns. In
horizontal panels, the number of rows is always respected, so if you add
applets, the grid gets expanded horizontally, i.e. you add a columns. Likewise
for vertical panels, where the number of columns has precedence over the
number of rows, making it grow vertically.

> - UI to select the number of lines he want, and the height of a line.

Why the height? It's contentsRect().height() / no_of_rows, no?

> - Something in the panel controller to draw the grids on the panel and
> make it reachable so the user can configure it. Draw the grid when a
> drag/ drop from another containment is comming.

We can just draw the lines around the cells when the desktop is unlocked, or
highlight the cell you're dropping into. Dropping applets into the grid works
already, as does moving (D+D) the grid from desktop to panel.

BTW, if you want to hack on the Grid applet, feel free to send patches along.
:)

Hope that helps,
--
sebas