Plugins: Use Qt plugin art. or XML?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 14 09:39:11 CEST 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Kelly Miller wrote:
> I mean, where the plasmoid itself is programmed to use a generic class, and
> then each media player has a class that inherits from the generic class
> used.  That way, all that has to be done to add support for a media player
> is to write a single class library.
..
> As for what XML has to do with this, one idea I had was to use a single XML
> file for each "media player driver", and then follow the instructions there
> to properly communicate with the media player chosen...

in the plugin scenario, you should be using KDE's plugin system (built on top
of Qt's plugin system) which is documented in tutorials on techbase, iirc.

to give you more specific suggestions, if you could provide the API of the
generic class or at enumerate the funtionality the class would provide then i
might be able to suggest some things.

(what would be beautiful is if all the media players had a consistent d-bus
interface, but i daren't dream that far ;)