RFC: wallpaper and containment handling in 4.2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 13 03:14:31 CEST 2008

On Saturday 12 July 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> On Saturday 12 July 2008 00:58:50 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > * the settings dialog will be provided by the View (DesktopView,
> > PanelView, etc)
>
> Not exactly belongs to this thread but one thing that I have found a bit
> confusing is that Desktop context menu -> Desktop Settings... and System
> settings -> Desktop configure different things.

yes, plasma is really not easily managed by a system settings type
application. something for us to work on in the future if possible.

> > * Containment will support loading and using a wallpaper plugin. assuming
> > a wallpaper plugin is used, the wallpaper's paint method will be called
> > from the Applet::paint method. there will be a setWallpaper(const QString
> > &pluginName) method for setting the paper
> >
> > * Containment subclasses will be able to define whether or not they
> > support arbitrary wallpaper plugins, no wallpaper plugins or a specific
> > set of such plugins (by category? by KServiceTypeTrader syntax? hmm...)
>
> Does this mean applets and panels can have plugin based background too?

panels, but not applets. for now i'd like to concentrate on making this rock
for the purpose of containments. we could extend it to applets at some point,
but that has various implications as to complexity and starts crossing over
into the svg theme area, two things i'm not overly eager about. =)