Plasma does not show all windows in expose or grid

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jul 11 17:33:18 CEST 2008

Please keep CC: intact when replying, it really belongs on those lists, not
into my personal inbox.

On Friday 11 July 2008 17:19:28 J.R. Mauro wrote:
> > This looks a lot like an issue Lubos has just fixed recently. To confirm
> > that:
> >
> > - Does it work when you uncheck "desktop effects" | General | Advanced
> >
> >  | [ ] Keep thumbnails of hidden windows up to date ?
>
> If I uncheck this and use grid to switch desktops, I don't see the windows
> on that desktop, just
> the shadow around them. I want to specify that I can't see the windows in
> the grid preview
> *before* I select a desktop either way. Same goes for exposé: I can't see
> the windows in the preview
> and only see the shadows on the desktop with thumbnail update off, and
> can't see the windows
> in the preview but can see the on the desktop with it on.

You need to walk through the desktop first once so the offscreen pixmaps get
updated (this is what you unchecked with the above option).

> > - Do you see all windows when you "kquitapp plasma" (you can start it
> > again with alt+f2 "plasma"),
>
> I can see the windows on the desktop fine. I can't see them in the preview
> mode of exposé or
> grid before choosing a window/desktop.

I understood that.

> > If so, it looks a lot like the ordering bug that's fixed already, it'll
> > be in
> > 4.1-rc1 packages once they're out.
>
> I'm not up to speed on all this, but I don't think this is the same bug. Is
> the fixed
> bug a problem with windows not showing up on the desktop itself?

No, it's a bug with previews and animations ending up "under" the plasma
"window". That's why I asked to quit plasma and see if that changes anything.
--
sebas