Device Notifier for 4.1.

Alexis Ménard darktears31 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 23:46:55 CET 2008

2008/1/28 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:

> On Monday 28 January 2008, Alexis Ménard wrote:
>
> - list all devices plugged in when the applet is started ;)

Ok i have to update the engine in this case.

> > -Add the possibility to unmount the device (with right mouse i think for
> > the taskbar view and with an icon in the desktop view).
>
> making such a radical split between views is going to lead you into
> problems
> as it creates assumptions in your code about how the libplasma using
> application is behaving. you should try and avoid this if at all possible.
>
> oh, and right clicks are Evil(tm)

;) so an icon...

> > -Grouping items by type (usb,CD...).
>
> cool
>
> > -Improve Ui config with something more sexy.
> > -Slipt code in two different classes (desktop view and taksbar view).
>
> what would the split end up with?

Actually i have all in one class with differents functions like
performUpdateInSysTray and performUpdateInDesktop. The code is different in
these two cases : one use a model to display information in a QListView
(using Dialog class in Plasma) and other deal with plasma API. My idea was
to create just two classes (ie NotifierDesktop and NotifierContainment) and
in the main class applet, i just create the good object depending on where
is the applet. It was just to simplify...

> > The big missing part is a config dialog to set the application
> associated
> > to a kind device. Perhaps we should create a specific dialog in system
> > settings?
>
> it's not only which application, it's general actions. for instance, when
> plug a new usb headset i can select "set as my default sound device". a
> configuration dialog would probably be handy in this case.
>
> > The main problem with this dialog is how we can bring to user the power
> of
> > predicates in Solid ?
>
> perhaps start with the use cases. what exactly do you want to allow the
> user
> to do, using actual examples?

Yes, perhaps we can provide a set of standard predicates which filters main
kind of devices and provides something to allow user link an application or
an action.