Device Notifier for 4.1.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 28 23:33:58 CET 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, Alexis Ménard wrote:

- list all devices plugged in when the applet is started ;)

> -Add the possibility to unmount the device (with right mouse i think for
> the taskbar view and with an icon in the desktop view).

making such a radical split between views is going to lead you into problems
as it creates assumptions in your code about how the libplasma using
application is behaving. you should try and avoid this if at all possible.

oh, and right clicks are Evil(tm)

> -Grouping items by type (usb,CD...).

cool

> -Improve Ui config with something more sexy.
> -Slipt code in two different classes (desktop view and taksbar view).

what would the split end up with?

> The big missing part is a config dialog to set the application associated
> to a kind device. Perhaps we should create a specific dialog in system
> settings?

it's not only which application, it's general actions. for instance, when i
plug a new usb headset i can select "set as my default sound device". a
configuration dialog would probably be handy in this case.

> The main problem with this dialog is how we can bring to user the power of
> predicates in Solid ?

perhaps start with the use cases. what exactly do you want to allow the user
to do, using actual examples?