A few plasma questions

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 01:44:18 CET 2008

At Sunday 20 January 2008 23:38, you wrote:
> I'd like to add a settings widget so that people can change the size,
> the directory, whether or not the filename is visible, etc..  But I
> can't figure out how plasma applets deal with this.  For instance, how
> do I get the little wrench to show up when there's a mouse-over?  How in
> general are settings handled?

See http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Plasma

This, together with the apidocs below, should be everything you need.

Well, that's not entirely true.  Data engines often have an undocumented API.  plasmaengineexplorer is a great way of poking at data engines.

For config, you need to call setHasConfigurationInterface(true) in your constructor, and reimplement the slot void showConfigurationInterface().

> How do I set the icon for my plasma-app so that it shows up in the Add
> Widgets widget?  My applet shows up, but it has the default icon that
> several other applets have.

The Icon property in the desktop file.

http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdebase-apidocs/workspace/libs/plasma/html/index.html for 4.0, http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdebase-apidocs/workspace/libs/plasma/html/index.html for 4.1 (will change over time)

> Is the source code for the Analog Clock applet available?  I think that
> would help me a lot, but I don't know where to find it.

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.0/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/analog-clock/

Also, check out #plasma on freenode IRC.

Alex