porting superkaramba applet to plasmoid

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:49:07 CET 2008

On January 19, 2008 00:15:12 Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Hi, I'm the developer of superkaramba applet
> soundmania. Since KDE4 is out I am curious about the
> fate of my code. I know that plasma will eventually
> replace superkaramba.

plasma can run superkaramba widgets. I'm entirely unfamiliar with the
mechanism, but I'm sure there's an example around somewhere.

> Is it possible for me to port my applet to plasma? Do
> I have to convert the python code to c++? My c++
> knowledge is not as good as my python, but maybe it is
> time to get into c++ world. Are there any python
> bindings for plasma? Or the worst: is my code going to
> trash?

porting might be a good idea. I don't know the pros and cons of running
superkaramba stuff, but I imagine plasmoids get slightly better treatment ;)
there are no python bindings yet. you can use c++ or javascript, or write
python bindings, or sit around and wait for someone else to write them ;)

> I have been looking at the plasma web page for a year
> now but they still didn't post their API.

that web page is terribly out of date. there's some plasma information on
techbase.kde.org - but not enough. the real documentation effort is probably
going to start next week or something :)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com