porting superkaramba applet to plasmoid

Alexander Wiedenbruch wirr01 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:39:29 CET 2008

On Friday, 18. January 2008 17:15:12 Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Hi, I'm the developer of superkaramba applet
> soundmania. Since KDE4 is out I am curious about the
> fate of my code. I know that plasma will eventually
> replace superkaramba.

Don't worry, SuperKaramba will be still around for a while.

As Chani wrote it is possible to run SuperKaramba themes in Plasma without
changing the themes.

I just looked into your theme and saw that it uses PyQt3. Unfortunately this
doesn't work because it is not possible to load the Qt3 library into a Qt4
app, which SuperKaramba now is.

So what you have to do, is to port your theme to PyQt4. The first step is to
change 'from qt import *' to 'from PyQt4 import *'. The rest should be very
easy.

Another problem is the switch from DCOP to DBUS. I am not sure yet how big the
change is. If you think this is too much work for you, you might want to
consider writing a Plasma Widget. This has the advantage of being future
proof.

If you need some help with this just drop me a mail!

Bye
Alex