[Panel-devel] Icon Layouts

Christopher Blauvelt cblauvelt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:12:07 CET 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 11:38 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 January 2008, Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
> > Attached is a patch that allows you to align icons to a grid.  Further,
> it
>
> * there is a write- and readEntry in KConfigGroup that takes a QPointF.
> you
> don't need to do the parsing yourself (indeed, shouldn't)

I'm not following which code segment you're talking about.

> * this:
> +    foreach (QAction *action, m_icons.contextActions()) {
> +        actions.append(action);
> +    }
>
> could probably be more simply actions << m_icons.contextActions(); does
> the
> same thing, just easier on the fingers ;)

Noted.  At least my style was good :)

> * please don't remove commented out debug from, e.g. applethandle.cpp

OK

> * why should desktop icon locking be done separately from widget locking?
> this
> only seems to grow the artificial gulf between the two sets of
> functionality?

I can remove it if you like.  It's trivial to remove.

> * this reminds me why i wish QActions could accept hierarchies.
> ActionGroups
> aren't good enough (as they imply modality) ... adding 5 entries + 2
> separators to the desktop menu just isn't an option though. of course, we
> can
> get rid of some of these quite easily: locking should just follow the
> normal
> immutability and locking of the containment; Show Icons should go into the
> config dialog, not the context menu;

I would have liked to make a submenu to address icons but I couldn't see how
that was possible given that only QAction*'s can be returned from
contextMenu().  I remove Icon related items when they're not shown but if it
needs to be added to the config dialog I can add the extra tab that had been
previously discussed.  Unless you had a different proposal.

> * "Line Up" should probably just be "Align", with "ly" appended to the
> directions

Fixed.

> * spot the formatting errors:
>
> +    foreach (Plasma::Applet *item, m_iconMap.values())
> +         item->setImmutable(m_blockIcon);
>
> and
>
> +    if (iconsVisible) {
> +        m_desktopDir.openUrl(KGlobalSettings::desktopPath());
> +    }
> +    else {
>
> ;)

Man, you're worse than my sixth-grade english teacher :)  Fixed.

> * do we need to offer a separate hook for media icons? hm.. i suppose so
> if
> only because someone might want

That's next to be implemented.

> * i assume the icon.h and icon.cpp bits aren't intended as part of the
> diff?

Oops!  Thats a start at my attempt to allow dragging of icons by clicking
and dragging from the middle.  I guess I need to do an "svn diff" from a
little farther down in the directory.