making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 13:42:34 CET 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> hmm, maybe the entire line selected looks a little bit busy, maybe i would

... and makes it harder to track the text, and clashes with icons/progress
bars, and .. ruphy was kind enough to quote celeste but left out any of the
other context.

> include the icon in the selection

that doesn't adress celeste's (imho non-)issue. moreover, untill the selection
is drawn completely differently (e.g. not using a palette colour, and not a
flat colour) we will have nasty colour clashes with some icons. they all look
good on base() but not so much on highlight().

> and is it possible to make the selected
> area of every item with the same width that is not 100%?

we could iterate over all items first, yes. i think that would look even more
odd than either per-item-fit or full-width though as the width would appear
semi-random until you realized that it's fit to the widest item?

> maybe making 100% large only the selection of categories to say they're a
> different thing from other items

this just re-introduces the problems, only for some of the entries.

re-working the selection painting such that the background does not attract
attention to itself (which can be at least in part be brought down to using
highlight() and a flat colour fill), that doesn't clash colour-wise with
other elements in the view (including the progress bars) and which doesn't
look like it stumbled out of the 90s is a possible solution.

simply changing the width of the selection area is not.