KWin and plasma's colorscheme

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Feb 5 17:27:09 CET 2008

On Tuesday 05 of February 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 14:45:34 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I can't say I'd like very much the idea of making KWin link libplasma,
> > but that's not the reason why I don't like this. The reason is that I
> > don't see why it should stop using the standard way to get colors and
> > instead use a Plasma-specific replacement. And, if this patch went in,
> > would that mean that other "random" places would have to be patched this
> > way too?
>
> If I understand your concerns correctly, you're not convinced that (some
> parts of) KWin should use plasma colors?

 Right. In fact I think that KWin should keep using system colors, and Plasma
should do so as well.

> My gut feeling is that the 'desktop' is made out of a couple of components,
> i.e. 'those that are not windows': panel, desktop-space (what kdesktop did,
> basically) and window manager. So basically the things that are not apps
> but visible to the user. For example, the boxswitch of the window manager
> is very much like the pager, or the taskbar... Grouping them visually makes
> sense to me, this is done by using the Plasma colorscheme
>
> So that's (apps) vs. (workspace without apps), basically.

 The problem is where you want to draw the line. E.g. the KRunner dialog is
apparently 'not a window' to Plasma people, even though it clearly is (at
least to me). Now consider 'USB stick plugged in' dialog, download progress
window, KNotification popups, KMag window, KWallet dialog, and so on - should
they use "normal" or Plasma colors. And, as far as I'm concerned, why should
there even be two of those?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz