API review: protected config of applet

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 17:12:41 CEST 2008

Le jeudi 24 avril 2008, Marco Martin a écrit :
> for Kickoff the problem is the Launcher class, the QWidget that manages all
> the menu things, so should still store his config into applet config?
> making it a friend of applet? or making the applet co copy a pointer to his
> config into launcher with something like Launcher::setConfig()?

This one is not really a problem, you can make config() public in a subclass
if needed. So that should cover the Kickoff case.

> the desktop containment has all his uglyness in IconLoader, that access the
> config of the containment (friend?)
> the real problem is that it access the config of the icon applets (only the
> ones that are in the ~/Desktop folder) and this is more tricky.
> making it include the iconapplet header (uuuugly) so it can acces to a
> function like url()?

Once again that sounds very "desktop containment" specific. So you could just
expose config() as public there, or make only IconLoader friend with
DesktopContainment (since somehow it's part of its implementation).

> or even taking it as an excuse to kill IconLoader? (probably should be done
> one day or another)

That's where my heart lies. It'd be the right excuse to kill it IMO. :-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."