[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 25 16:55:20 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > we can (and might already, even) easily abuse QAction::whatsThis() or
> > QAction::toolTip for this
>
> Okay.  If you are thinking of doing that it might be better to use
> QAction's 'data' property, given that the URL might not always be
> suitable for display.

hm... yes, we could use setData for the URL, though not all have a URL. it's
not a URL-centeric concept, to be honest. is the URL for display? i actually
thought we were talking about the sub title, since the URL is not
particularly relevant given that they are QActions which the associated
runner knows what to do with.. this allows runners to create actions that
might do just about anything without having any of that logic in the host
application, and with that design having the URL (if it isn't the title)
seems a bit extraneous?

> Down the line I think it might be worth exploring allowing people to
> write scripts in languages like Python or Ruby to extend the search
> facilities.

yes, would be pretty easy to do really, and i'd like to see this happen as
well since Runners:KRunner :: Applets:Plasma

> Such a system already exists on the Gnome desktop
> (Deskbar).  It would be quite neat if Deskbar scripts were supported,
> I don't know how hard that would be.

wouldn't be *too* hard, though we'd need a proxy class between their Action
class and QAction. i'm not sure how much we'd actually *gain* from this,
though. they do have a number of Handlers available, but i think we will have
all that and a bag of chips in short order anyways.