[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 03:06:18 CEST 2007

Hi all,

> i just looked and it's still all qwidgets. this REALLY needs to be ported to
> QGraphicsItems. we can get away with it being qwidgets if absolutely required
> for 4.0, but it will make showing it on the desktop not possible (without
> some stupid hacks that i'm really not prepared to do).
>
> of course, it uses QAbstractItemModel fairly extensively. and
> QAbstractItemView IsA QWidget, so to make this really work we'd need to
> create something like a QGraphicsModelViewItem ;) which would connect to the
> various signals from QAbstractItemModel to show things.
>
> a fair amount of work indeed. *sigh*

What I really think we need is some kind of inheriting as Qt already
has for our view widgets. We can emulate them for plasma, but creating
the basics. This could mean having:

- PlasmaAbstractItemView
- PlasmaListView
- Others requested...

We should be able to use QAbstractItemModel and connect a normal model
to them (so we are only rewriting the view itself).

I also think we probably could reuse delegates drawing, since we could
try to "plug" normal delegates into a view created for QGV. I think is
not very crazy as it sounds and it can probably be done.

I want to also make a call for sanity and KISS principle:

If you need a widget, check if it is on plasma libs. Use it. Do not
write your own. You contribute to desktop inconsistency.

If you need a widget and is not on plasma libs. There are two options:
- If it is a very common widget (hey I need a TabWidget). Write it and
ADD it to plasma libs (note that you will try to make it as similar as
a real widget as you can)
- If it is a very special widget create it privately. If 2 (?) or more
plasmoids need it we can consider moving it to plasma libs.

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.