[Panel-devel] Scripting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 10 18:41:02 CEST 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007, Petri Damsten wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2007 18:08:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > AFAIK this wouldn't require python per say;
>
> No, but all the existing python code should be written in C++/JS. Maybe not
> that much but I rather would use that time on writing ScriptEngine for
> python.

of course, the other porting that would need to be done, even if kept in
python, is still there.

> > i know people are all hot about
> > being able to write applets in ruby and python and
> > $NAME_YOUR_PET_LANGUAGE, but that's not a really practical POV. most
> > basically: it's going to make things suck for the user. (but then, when
> > did we care about them, right? ;)
> >
> > it would be much more interesting to see JS applets.
>
> What comes to bindings I personally don't see much difference between
> plasma and let's say kdelibs and would like to see same language support in

the difference is immense. one is a large set of general purpose tools for
writing applications the other is a manageable set of purposefully
constrained tools for creating useful components.

> both. I think that users don't write code they just use applets and for
> them it doesn't matter what language was used to write them. For me It's OK

and people never will be able to easily create their own little add-ons as
long as this idea persists. there is no excuse for not lowing the bar.

be beyond authorship, increased overhead and having to have a bunch of
different runtimes installed and available (and possibly of the correct
versions) around is just more hassle we're putting at the user's feet.

for what? so we can choose how our if and for statements look?

> to promote JS as the main scripting language and write tutorials for that
> but I just would like to see an option for some us that want to do it the
> hard way :-)

yes, there will be options. there is no real way to prevent people from doing
that, and i'm not going to even try. it doesn't make it a good idea, however,
and as such it will be very difficult to put such components into any default
sets of applets.