[Panel-devel] Scripting

Petri Damsten petri.damsten at iki.fi
Mon Sep 10 20:23:04 CEST 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 19:41:02 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> and people never will be able to easily create their own little add-ons as
> long as this idea persists. there is no excuse for not lowing the bar.
>
> be beyond authorship, increased overhead and having to have a bunch of
> different runtimes installed and available (and possibly of the correct
> versions) around is just more hassle we're putting at the user's feet.
>
> for what? so we can choose how our if and for statements look?

Obviously we have very different view what the normal user is. What I have
seen many people would not even be able (or rather want) to install an applet
if there would not be GHNS or similar system and if I say Java they might say
it's an island in Indonesia (If they paid attention in geography lessons).
I'm not saying people are stupid but that they are just not interested in
anything technical.

So I still think that providing more languages don't raise the bar for
possible JS users but it might lower the bar for people that have already
done something in ruby or python.

Anyway I just wanted say my personal opinion.

Petri

--
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day."
 - Whinnie The Pooh