[Panel-devel] Scripting

Petri Damsten petri.damsten at iki.fi
Mon Sep 10 18:00:19 CEST 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 18:08:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> AFAIK this wouldn't require python per say;

No, but all the existing python code should be written in C++/JS. Maybe not
that much but I rather would use that time on writing ScriptEngine for
python.

> i know people are all hot about
> being able to write applets in ruby and python and $NAME_YOUR_PET_LANGUAGE,
> but that's not a really practical POV. most basically: it's going to make
> things suck for the user. (but then, when did we care about them, right? ;)
>
> it would be much more interesting to see JS applets.

What comes to bindings I personally don't see much difference between plasma
and let's say kdelibs and would like to see same language support in both. I
think that users don't write code they just use applets and for them it
doesn't matter what language was used to write them. For me It's OK to
promote JS as the main scripting language and write tutorials for that but I
just would like to see an option for some us that want to do it the hard
way :-)

Petri

--
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say
it. - Voltaire