[Panel-devel] Applet browser enhancements for SuperKaramba

Alexander Wiedenbruch wirr01 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:16:07 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 11. Oktober 2007 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007, Alexander Wiedenbruch wrote:
> > Please consider the patches as proof-of-concept. I'd like to hear your
> > comments.
>
> i like the idea in theory ... some comments/questions on the patches
> themselves:
>
> - abstractitem.h (and by extension plasmaitem.h) are meant to be private
> API and i realy want to avoid installing them at all cost. they are being
> installed because you're using this in libsuperkaramba, and so need an
> external reference to it, correct?

correct

> if so, i'd like to find another way to
> do this. unfortunately nothing is coming to mind at the moment, but there
> must be a way, such as fetching a list of themes from the SK lib and then
> populating PlasmaItems inside the model based on that.

The only solution I can think of right now, would be to move SuperKarambaItem
to plasmaappletitemmodel_p.h, extend AbstractItem with PlasmaItem (with
pluginName() and arguments()), keep both *Item classes private, get the data
(name, description, icon) of the themes from skapplet by using a combination
of QMap/QVariantList and put these into SuperKarambaItem.

Unfortunately I need to use the ThemeFile class from libsuperkaramba to parse
the metadata. I could do that also in the applet browser code but that would
increase the code for SK in Plasma even more.

> - if you could, please add comments where the code is there for SK support
> in libplasma; it'll help us remember and new comers to understand what is
> going on there. the extern "C" in plasmaappletitemmodel.cpp is a good
> example =)

sure ;)

> - minor nitpick: where there is 'return "";' to return an empty
> QString, 'return QString();' will suffice

OK